Wednesday, March 28, 2012

On Think Tanks, FARA, and Foreign Lobbying

Do US think tanks who house foreign fellows (or visiting scholars) working with foreign governments/entities have to register with the Department of Justice (DOJ) under the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA)?

According to FARA officials I spoke with, the answer is "complicated."  But yes, in certain circumstances, registration may be required.  That said, they were not aware, at least in recent times, when a think tank, foreign fellow, or related think tank associate has actually registered under FARA.

Its always fun to take a peak at FARA's Semi-Annual Report to Congress to see who is registering.