- Mario Draghi, President of the European Central Bank, is an Honorary Trustee at Brookings.
- Itamar Rabinovich, former Israeli Ambassador to the US, is a Distinguished Senior Fellow at Brookings and is an International Advisory Board Member there.
- Javier Solana, the former Secretary-General of Western European Union, and former Secretary-General of the Council of the European Union, is a Distinguished Senior Fellow at Brookings.
- Queen Noor, the last wife and widow of King Hussein of Jordan, is on the Board of Trustees at the Aspen Institute.
- Margaret Thatcher, former Prime Minister of Great Britain, is a Patron of the Heritage Foundation. She is also an Honorary Fellow at Stanford's Hoover Institution.
- Kofi Annan, the former Secretary General of the United Nations (UN), is on the Board of Trustees at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace (CEIP). He is also on the Global Board of Advisors (GBA) at the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR).
- Alvaro Uribe, former President of Colombia, is a Senior Fellow at the Bipartisan Policy Center (BPC).
- Sadako Ogato, former President of the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), is a Distinguished Fellow at Brookings.
- Husain Haqqani, former Pakistan Ambassador to the US, is a Senior Fellow at the Hudson Institute.
- John Richardson, former Ambassador and head of the European Commission's delegation to the United Nations in New York, is a Senior Resident Fellow at the German Marshall Fund (GMF).
- Peter Semneby, former EU Special Representative for the South Caucuses, is a Senior Fellow at GMF.
- Tarja Halonen, former President of Finland, is on CFR's Global Board of Advisors.
- Charles David Powell, a life peer in Britain's House of Lords, is on CFR's Global Board of Advisors.
- David Miliband, former British Foreign Secretary, and a current British Labour Party politician, has been named as a Distinguished Senior Fellow at Center for American Progress (CAP).
- Ernesto Zedillo, former President of Mexico, is an Advisory Board member at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS).
- Jean-David Levitte, former French Ambassador to the US, is a Distinguished Fellow at the Brookings Institution.
- Vaclav Klaus, former President of the Czech Republic, is a Distinguished Senior Fellow at the Cato Institute.
- Arturo Sarukhan, former Mexican Ambassador to the US, is a Distinguished Affiliate at the Brookings Institution. He is also an Advisory Board Member of the Mexico Institute at the Wilson Center.
- Richard Reeves, former Director of Strategy to the UK's Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, is an Economic Studies Program Fellow, and Director for the Center on Children and Families.
The Peterson Institute for International Economics (PIIE) has quite a few current/former foreign government officials who are affiliated with the think tank. Following are some examples:
- Chen Yuan, Governor of the China Development Bank, is a Board Member at the Peterson Institute of International Economics (PIIE).
- Lee Kuan Yew, the former Prime Minister of Singapore, is an Honorary Director of PIIE.
- Ernesto Zedillo, the former President of Mexico, is a Board Member of PIIE.
- Jean-Claude Trichet, former President of the European Centeral Bank (ECB), is a Board Member of PIIE.
- Sheikh Hamad Saud Al-Sayari, former Governor of the Saudi Arabian Monetary Agency, is a Board Member of PIIE.
- Jacob Frenkel, former Governor of the Bank of Israel, is a Board Member of PIIE.
- Arminio Fraga, former President of the Central Bank of Brazil, is a Board Member of PIIE.
- Leszek Balcerowicz, former Deputy Prime Minister of Poland, is a Board Member of PIIE.
Foreign governments also give financial support to think tanks. For example, at CEIP, support has come from the governments of Japan, France, Norway, and Sweden.
Please note that the list is periodically updated.