Here are the top ten think tank on the list, as of June 2014:
- National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER)
- Centre for Economic Policy Research (CEPR)
- Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA)
- Brookings Institution
- ifo Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung an der Universität München e.V.
- DIW Berlin
- Peterson Institute for International Economics (PIIE)
- Resources for the Future (RFF)
- Institutet för Näringslivsforskning (IFN)
- Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI)
Here is more on the methodology. There were 183 think tanks from all over the world in the running for this ranking.
RePEC is a collaborative effort of hundreds of volunteers in 82 countries to enhance the dissemination of research in economics and related sciences. IDEAS is the largest bibliographic database dedicated to economics and available freely on the Internet.