- Donald Marron, Fellow and Director of Economic Policy Initiatives at Urban Institute
- G. William Hoagland, Senior Vice President, Bipartisan Policy Center (BPC)
- Alan Viard, Resident Scholar, American Enterprise Institute (AEI)
- John Cogan, Leonard and Shirley Ely Senior Fellow, Hoover Institution
- James Capretta, Visiting Fellow, AEI
Elmendorf himself is part of a think tank power couple. He used to be a Senior Fellow at the Brookings Institution, and his wife Karen Dynan also used to work at Brookings.
In other words, Republicans may be trying to shift the helm of the CBO from being steered by a liberal think tanker to a more conservative think tanker. [Yes, we know that the Urban Institute is not exactly a bastion of conservative thinking...]
Here is what Charles Blahous (Senior Research Fellow at the Mercatus Center; Research Fellow at the Hoover Institution; and contributor at e21, the economics portal of the Manhattan Institute) has to say about picking the next CBO head.
Does the new CBO Director need to be a Ph.D. or think tanker to be taken seriously?