Among other things, the report found that UAE foreign agents had contacted 200 congressional offices, 18 think tanks, and most mainstream media outlets in 2018. Those 18 think tanks were contacted a total of 85 different times last year (and that is just contacts that were reported).
The top five think tanks most contacted by UAE foreign agents were:
- Washington Institute for Near East Policy (WINEP): 18
- Middle East Institute (MEI): 14
- Center for American Progress (CAP): 11
- American Enterprise Institute (AEI): 10
- Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS): 5
The report says that UAE foreign agents "directed their efforts towards some of the most prominent and influential think tanks in D.C. and towards experts at think tanks the UAE was directly or indirectly funding." In turn, the report added, "UAE foreign agents often help to distribute the work of these experts at think tanks the UAE is funding."
Over the past year, there has also been a significant effort to track Saudi influence at US think tanks.